Sunday, May 1, 2016

I am loading some ammunition for my 7x61 tonight.  I haven't shot it in several years, and when I have, I haven't been able to get tons of accuracy out of it (3 inches at 100 yards being pretty common).

So, I'm trying something different.  Instead of loading lots of slow powder, I'm loading 4895.  It's still a hefty amount - 47.7 grains for a 162 grain Hornady boat tail soft point interlock.

I don't know if it will matter, but my thinking is that my particular rifle has a short (20 inch) barrel, and maybe it will like faster powders.  Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So how did your load come out? I have several manuals with Sharpe & Hart loads but only an older Speer with 4895.
I inherited one in 1998 that my Dad had built back in the mid-1950s. It's a 1937 Oberndorf Mauser with a 23" barrel (front of chamber to muzzle). Dad put a Herter's stock on it in 1972. He had 60 rounds of factory Norma 160 grain and another 40 new cases from the same era.
After a chamber cast and etching the caliber, I loaded some ammo (new 7x61 Super cases) and took it out today for its first firing ever. The cartridges were too long though the length was based on the factory rounds and the bullets engaged the rifling. I'll back those off and go again soon. At least I got the scope lined up.