Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Adventures in Case Resizing

I learned a couple of important lessons last night:

  • Just because it worked once, doesn't mean it will work twice.
  • A hammer is a handy tool to have on the reloading bench.

I was taking my first run at reforming some 7mm Remington Magnum brass to 7 x 61 Sharpe and Hart. I doused the first case with lubricant and slowly ran it through the sizing die. It worked beautifully. So I tried to do it again. This time I managed to get the case to bind so strongly that I ripped the rim off attempting to extract it. Once I ran out of rim, I got a bit frustrated and grabbed a small hammer and a metal rod. After absolutely soaking the die and jammed case with WD-40 I removed the expander head and rod, placed my metal rod through the top of the die and into the case and started swinging. It took about five minutes, but eventually I forced it out.

Oh well. Live and learn I guess. I am still wonder why it worked so well the first time and then bound up so tightly the second.

No comments: